Re: chicory

> From: Andrea H <hodgesaa@earthlink.net>
> I don't know. That's an interesting question. Maybe I;ll hang on to
it for
> my doctorate thesis in about 4 years. ;-) Seriously, I wonder. If
you can
> trace its origins back to its true "native" country,, as our Jim
has done
> with the potato, then my guess is it would still be considered

Sounds like a good subject for a doctorate thesis...esp. with the
current hysteria about native plants:-)  I'm sure that if the origin
is known, a plant is going to be considered naturalized instead of
native forever.  Just seems to me that, given that all plants got
where they are somehow (and it wasn't by magic) - likely via birds,
mammals or natural upheavals like hurricanes or the separation of the
continents -  that if a plant has been "naturalized" for a few
centuries, it ought to get bumped up to native status....or maybe
that takes millennia?

Probably the real issue is not this but that 'native' is being viewed
in a rather unrealistic form by so many...like native to where and
since when?  Oh well, don't get me started on that hobby horse:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :