Re: chicory

Right, and some are spread by hurricanes.  My brother-in-law, who lives in
the Pensacola area, was telling me about a new invasive that came in by
seed from South America spread by one of the last big hurricanes.  He
didn't know the name but it takes over all and can only be controlled or
stopped with burning.

In Tennessee, chicory grows along the edges of road pavement, showing that
brilliant blue with the Queen Anne's Lace, daisy, and butterfly weed.  The
latest Nonnative Invasive Plants of Southern Forests does not include it
but it is included in my Wildflowers of the Southern Appalachians.  I guess
it has been here for so long, was useful, and behaved itself so is not a
threat.  The roots were used for a coffee substitute by roasting and
grinding them and the leaves were edible in salad or as cooked greens.
According to my guide, the plant shows some antibacterial properties and is
being tested for lowering heart rates.   I have not had success in
transplanting...I think because the root is so long...but have seen it
grown in gardens by using seeds.

The blossoms close up in full-sunlight...used to be used by folks as a
timer for lunch when they worked in the fields...but come out again the
next morning.

Good luck...the color is a beautiful addition to a garden.

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN