From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:12:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [CHAT] mulch NOW Names

That kind of stuff never fails to amaze me, Auralie. When I was in
period <br>of friendship, Richard discovered that his re-married father
had sired <br>another son that he named--guess?--Richard Anthony Dwyer
II.<br><br>On Thursday, May 13, 2004, at 11:55 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com
wrote:<br><br>> In a message dated 05/13/2004 9:12:52 AM Eastern
generations in my father's family the first daughter was <br>>> given
the<br>>><br>>> name of both her paternal and maternal
grandmothers.<br>><br>> Same here, Zem. When I was born I was named for
my two maternal <br>> grandmothers<br>> - Martha Grace. But when my
mother died five months later they <br>> changed my<br>> birth
certificate to show her name, Auralie. Now the story was that <br>>
her<br>> father, Grace's husband, had named he!

r for his first love who he <br>> claimed was the<br>> most beautiful
woman he ever saw. Grace was no beauty even when she <br>> was
young.<br>> Then twenty years later my father, with a second wife, had
another <br>> daughter,<br>> and again named her for the two maternal
grandmothers - Martha Jean. <br>> I have<br>> never quite gotten over
that - I felt that they gave her my name and <br>> that I was<br>> a
non-person to my father's family. I know, intellectually, that was <br>>
not<br>> true, but that's the way I felt then. And I always felt much
more <br>> like a Martha<br>> than like an Auralie, especially since
Grace never failed to assure me <br>> that I<br>> was no match for
either of the earlier Auralies.<br>> Oh well. It just made me tougher
and more determined to be myself.<br>> Names have strange powers, don't
they. A rose by any other name might <br>> be a<br>> real

 r>> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> http://www.
10<br>27.0 N, 82.4

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com