From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:55:53 -0400
Subject: RE: Re: [CHAT] Peonies for the South

Pam, do you have any grass left in your yard? Then there's room for a
another 4' X 6' area for mom's<br>peonies. I got the one clump in (now
about 6 smaller clumps when the roots<br>separated.) I shutter to think
how much more digging I need to do for the<br>rest of her peonies! UGH!
I made a raised bed for them because the roots<br>were so long and so
deep, not to mention thick! They were well watered. I<br>tried to put
mulch over them, but the mulch pile I used must have an ant<br>colony in
it. Talk about a biting swarm! I've got to get new mulch.<br>Hopefully,
next Sunday when I go back to Indy, I'll be able to see what<br>color
the rest of the peonies are so I can get a sample of each
variety<br>mother has. I'm not sure how I'll color code them as I dig
them out. <br><br>I received a number of iris in swaps with folks at
work and elsewhere last<br>year. This is the first year I've seen them
bloom. One is the most<br>delicate sky blue that literally glistens in
the sunlight. One looks like<br>dry champagne edged in a sweet merlot.
Another is a white variety that is<br>stunning in its own right. There
is one clump in the patriotic garden that<br>has not yet revealed its
color, but I can hardly wait! Everything is so<br>full, I know I'll be
busy next spring (or later this season) dividing and<br>removing
extra's. One of my neighbors had reminded me of my plan to line
at<br>least the North side of the driveway with a border. She thought it
was<br>pretty ambitious at the time, but has been impressed with the
progress I've<br>made. At the rate I'm going, it will take more than a
29 year plan. (If<br>the driveway were much longer, some might think it
Message-----<br>From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf<br>Of
gardenqueen@academicplanet.com<br>Sent: Sunday, May 16,

2004 10:37 PM<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT]
Peonies for the South<br><br>I don't have room for one but Andrea might
take you up on it. I really<br>am squeezing stuff in w/ a shoe horn now.
My friend Elaine was at<br>Longwood Gardens last month and wanted so
badly to get me a plant, but<br>as she looked around the other day - she
said &quot;you have no place to put<br>it&quot;. She's right! Those beds
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] Peonies for the
South<br><br>&gt; Andrea and Pam: I have two festiva maxima peonies and
I love them! I'm<br>&gt; probably going to divide them this fall as they
have gotten absolutely<br>&gt; enormous (about 3 feet across and about 4
feet tall with buds on), so<br>&gt; it's time. Up here peonies cant get
pretty big...I'll send you a picture<br>&gt; when they bloom. Now...do
you guys want some to try free before you buy?<br>&gt; If you'll remind
me in the fall, I'll be happy to send you each some.<br>&gt; <br>&gt;
thing we can experience is the mysterious.&quot; <br>&gt; --Albert
Einstein<br>&gt; <br>&gt; --- On Sat 05/15, &lt;
gardenqueen@academicplanet.com]<br>&gt; To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>&gt;
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:22:10 -0500<br>&gt; Subject: Re: [CHAT]
Peonies for the South<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Andrea - how big are these
things? I've got no room for anything<br>&gt; bigger&lt;br&gt;than a
small lavender. Peonies in the South?? What a<br>&gt;
concept.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Pam Evans&lt;br&gt;Kemp,
TX&lt;br&gt;zone 8A&lt;br&gt;----- Original<br>&gt; Message
-----&lt;br&gt;From: Andrea H&lt;br&gt;Sent: 5/15/2004 8:04:51
PM&lt;br&gt;To:<br>&gt; gardenchat@hort.net&lt;br&gt;Subject: [CHAT]
Peonies for the South&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&gt;<br>&gt; I read in the book

ng Plants by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing<br>&gt; today&lt;br&gt;&gt;
that there are 3 peonies that will survive in the deep<br>&gt;
south.&lt;br&gt;&gt; &lt;br&gt;&gt; Festiva maxima, Big Ben, and a pink
on that I<br>&gt; can't remember the name of.&lt;br&gt;&gt; Apparently,
we have to plant the<br>&gt; early flowering ones as the rest will
not&lt;br&gt;&gt; make it.&lt;br&gt;&gt;<br>&gt; &lt;br&gt;&gt; Has
anyone tried this down here? We are supposed to plant them<br>&gt; in
October so&lt;br&gt;&gt; I'm going to see if I can buy some to plant in
the<br>&gt; fall. I've GOT to try this.&lt;br&gt;&gt; &lt;br&gt;&gt;
Andrea H&lt;br&gt;&gt; Beaufort,<br>&gt; SC&lt;br&gt;&gt;
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!&lt;br&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!&lt;br&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt;
Excite! - http://www.excite.com<br>&gt; The most personalized portal on
the Web!<br>&gt; <br>&gt;
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>&gt;
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com