Re: New oleander

In a message dated 5/17/04 5:09:24 PM, jsinger@igc.org writes:

<< -encourages
a kind of intellectual development that simply does not occur in other
settings. >>

Jim, in some, I can't say how many but at least in the public school where my
granddaughters attend, there is a program where the older students go to the
lower level classes and help one on one, reading to the class, helping on a
field trip and such.  The older students must apply and are selected by the
activities they have been involved in, grades, etc.  It is prestigious to be one
of the team.  I'm sure it is not as well promoted as montessori but in a small
community where montessori is not an option it is an attempt to build
relations and  provide mentoring.  The other reqmt I am impressed with is the hours of
volunteering that is rqd of each student annually from middle school thru hi
school.  Graduation is not possible without meeting the requirement
regardless of grade point.  This is a small rural school with less than 650 K-12.  My o
ldest granddaughter, now a college student, has very strong feelings that she
had the best opportunities and campaigns for the small school existence.  The
state is looking at forcing small schools to consolidate.  Big is not always
better.
    Ceres