From: David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:28:29 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant disaster/ups versus usps

Aurali<br><br>I'm dealing with the same problem more or less with my
business. You see<br>UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays so the packages I
send east of the<br>Mississippi take seven days to arrive instead of
five or six. They have to<br>sit someplace over the weekend. Sending by
air is absolutely out of the<br>question. Recently I sent two packages
by ground the total bill for<br>shipping was $60. If I had sent them by
air it would have been well over<br>$200. How can I ask a customer to
pay $200 for freight? On the other hand<br>USPS does deliver on
Saturdays but they are more expensive and then you end<br>up with the
same problem that you are describing. USPS simply isn't really<br>geared
for shipping large boxes. Fed Ex. ground? You might as well put it<br>in
a blender first before sending. That company is the worst for
have a new found empathy for some<br>of these companies who send out a
nice product only to have it butchered by<br>the shipping
Tropics<br>www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>----- Original Message -----
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 5:44 PM<br>Subject:
Anyone who ships plants must know that<br>> weather conditions and
delays can wreak havoc on plants. I sure hope they<br>> can find a quick
owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]
10:32 AM<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Subject: [CHAT] Plant
disaster<br>><br>> In early April I ordered many miniature roses from
Nor'East for a<br>> Horticulture School I will be running next week. We

lants to demonstrate and judge. I was disturbed to find<br>> that<br>>
they are no longer in the north east but in California. Then I was
told<br>> that<br>> they couldn't ship until the middle of May, but they
assured me that they<br>> would be here in time for the school. Well,
notice that we could pick up the package the next day. The next
day,<br>being<br>> Saturday, we were both tied up with the Lasdon plant
is not at all near us. There are three<br>> nearer, but for packages we
have to go in to Peekskill and struggle with<br>> difficult<br>> traffic
and parking. When I got the package this morning and opened it I<br>>
was<br>> just sick. All the leaves have fallen off the plants. It was
it. I'm sure I can nurse some of the others back in<br>> due<br>>
course, but not by next week. And what will I do with all these roses -
I<br>> had expected my club members to buy most of them, but I can't ask
or FedEx there would have been no problem - just the<br>> !@#) post
office. Since there is a three hour time difference, I will<br>wait<br>>
until<br>> 11:00 to call them, but I really intend to protest

hort.net -- join t

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com