From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of SueNY
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 2:43 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Way OT - Fedex Ground

   I want to clarify a few stereotypes and misconceptions. I worked for
a trucking company for years before I moved here to NYC. Some of the
drivers I worked with are still dear friends. It's simply not true that
truck drivers are idiots. Yes, there is a oral version of the written
CDL license exam for those who English is a second language.  If you can
not read at all you will not be allowed to take the exam. And no
trucking company will hire someone who can not speak and understand
English. And even those who chose the oral exam over the written one
still have to pass the field exam and it is not easy. Once you pass and
get your CDL any company you apply to will do a complete criminal
background check, drug testing, and a complete physical and
psychological exam. Once hired you're subjected to random drug tests all
year long and must get a physical once a year as mandated by the DOT,
and your safety record is highly scrutinized. Even one preventable
accident on your part will get you in trouble.
  Yes, there are some bad apples in every bushel. We had a few in our
company and they didn't last long. But the majority ogf truckers are
hard working, safety concious men and women who strive to do the best
job they can. Driving a tractor trailer is not easy...these guys do it
in all kinds of weather. They also often load and unload their own
trucks, and also are expected to provide customer service...even to the
customer from hell.
  I worked with 8 drivers, ranging in age from 28 to 52. All were highly
intelligent, hard working men. Believe me, there is absolutely no way
you will get a CDL, let a alone a job with a trucking company if you
can't read. At the company I worked at we had several applicants who
could not read and none were ever considered for  employment.
  Okay, lecture over. I just can't stand to see truck drivers bashed and
lumped together because of a few bad apples. :( The guys I worked with
were the best. The stereotype that all truck drivers are dumb, slovenly
bums is just not true.