Re: Spring pics

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring pics
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:52:41 -0600

The first couple of times I tried Ompahalodes 'Starry Eyes'  I could only
obtain it bareroot and never could get it going (I've since figured that
problem out)  The Omphalodes 'Parisian Skies' I found in a quart at a local
nursery.  It filled out very thickly right away so I bought 2 more later
that year that looked scraggly because they hadn't moved them from the
quarts.  The first one bloomed that first year.  None of them bloomed last
year.  I dug the first one out last fall, divided for sale.  They all came
through the winter in pots under leaves but didn't bloom this year.
However, the two in the ground finally did bloom this spring.  That's one of
them in the posted picture.

Those in the ground are in fairly protected locations with well-drained soil
(mounded, truck-delivered soil) and I don't give them any special care or
extra winter protection beyond soil mulch.  My guess, without looking it up
(I can't here) is that they may not like a wet crown or too much moisture in
winter.  Too much moisture was my problem with the bareroot ones.  And since
the successful ones are planted in raised beds with a soil that had a little
more sand than I'd asked for....I'm wondering if maybe that's why they are
ok.  Maybe they need sharper (not sharp like herbs, just sharper than clay)
drainage.  What conditions were yours planted in, Chris?