Re: ok- now doves/predators.

Much rather have cougars than coyotes, if only because cougars will take care of a surplus of coyotes. Coyotes are okay for rabbits and such, but if you want to control [i.e. get rid of] deer and raccoons, you need cougars. Besides that, they're handsome. I have some photos of coyotes I befriended in Death Valley. Fed them for a week or so and almost tamed them. They're scruffy to say the best about them.

On May 3, 2005, at 6:44 PM, Richard Apking wrote:

Would you believe that 2 have been killed in urban Omaha NE over the past
year? Games and Parks folks tried to subdue the cats with darts, but they
were ineffective for whatever reason. This is crazy.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Cathy Carpenter
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:26 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] ok- now doves/predators.

We have plenty of coyotes here (and I am south of you, Quincy, IL) -
have even seen them in the yard in broad daylight! I understand,
courtesy of the "Illinois Steward" vol.13, no.4 (published by the U. of
IL) that because mountain lions may be overpopulated in the west, young
males may be seeking new territories, and since adult mountain lions
are capable of traveling 50 to 100 miles per day, it would take a
matter of weeks for a Colorado cougar to get to us. One was found dead
in Mercer Co. in December 2004. Mercer is just south of Rock Island Co.
on the Mississippi. If there is an overpopulation of deer, they will
come!
Cathy