Re: todays problem

I have long wanted one of those, Donna.

If it's going great guns, I should think you could cut it back hard
with no real problems, esp. this early in the season.

Once grapes get established, they are tough to kill.  I have been
pulling all new growth off a wild grape vine snaking across the
ground for about 3 years and it's still trying to put out new

I sure wouldn't treat V. coignetiae that way, but I should think you
could go in there and remove what you have to so that you can shift
it in the direction you want it to go - tie it to the fence; old knee
high nylons are perfect for this.  If you give it a bit of direction,
new growth will then move into the fence, I should think.

I think they are normally pruned in late winter; very early spring,
but will not swear to this - it might be done in the fall as I know
the wild ones bleed like mad if cut while the sap is running -
doesn't seem to kill them, tho'.

If nervous about it, you could find the farthest end and cut that
back and wait a bit to see what happens.  I would imagine it would
put out new growth; the wild ones seem to be willing to do this all
season if you cut them back.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs