Re: Juncus effusus 'Spirales'

Oh yes- I had this out front in my always damp area (there is cement under the surface about 6 inches down- and it never really drains). Well- it got some sun and some shade and was always kind of damp at the roots. BEWARE- I dug it up earlier this year because it was spreading everywhere and now I am still yanking out bits here and there. This one, I will win- fortunately it isn't too determined on world domination. I stuck part of this in a big pot with two other rushes, and an elephant ear. Looks very nice there, and the rushes can all battle about who will take over the pot. (P.S. The pot is sitting on a slab of concrete- don't trust the roots not to take hold of soil through the drainage holes).

So- yes, I think you are correct- any one can grow it.
Theresa

james singer wrote:

We bought one of these corkscrew reeds last weekend. Any pond, bog, swamp gardeners here growing it? Everything I've read about it says it wants its head in the sun and its feet under water. One thing I found interesting about it is its range of adaption--zones 4 through 10. Apparently, anyone with a sunny bog can grow it. [Not suggesting you'd want to, but you can.]

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10