Re: Bromeliad....YEAH!!!

Noreen, good to see you again. I am a huge fan of Bromeliads. On our recent trip to Mexico we saw some high up in trees that were five feet across at least. Almost like an eagles nest. My best one lives in my greenhouse here at home and I literally do nothing to it. I don't water, feed or anything else and it has a beautiful flower that is pink with small blue dots. It's constantly pupping. I love the idea of stashing them away with other plants. I have some that are hardy for this area and grow in the ground. Really love them.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 4:22 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bromeliad....YEAH!!!

Running behind again...sorry. I used to shy away from Bromeliads because
every time I got one, it died...it either rotted or after it bloomed it died. I
was clueless, so stayed away from them. I'm so glad that I met some
wonderful folks whose passion are Bromeliads. Bromeliads are now one of my
favorites. I have them growing literally on every tree, tucked into Hibiscus,
growing on my posts of the deck, on driftwood, in the ground....you name it. LOL

The care of a Bromeliad depends largely on what genus it is. Can you give
me a little more info.....are the leaves stiff or soft? Spiny or smooth? Is
the plant tall, foliage standing straight up or are the leaves more
flattened out to the side?? Is the plant in an orchid type mix (bark chips) or
soil?? Pink or red center could mean the color of the plant or it could mean that
it is going to bloom. Bromeliads come in all colors, shapes, sizes. Some
are miniatures only getting to be an inch or two tall, others can get several
feet. Most commonly available bromeliads somewhere in the middle.

Not all Bromeliads like to have water in the center of their cups.....
some bromeliads are terrestrial, and others epiphytes (growing in trees in
nature). The easiest way to kill a bromeliad is to over water. If you are going
to put water in the cup, then don't water the soil. Lots of bright light,
great air ciruculation, humidity. Don't fertilize much if at all (different
thoughts on this) since most agree that fertilizing will cause the plant to
green too much.
Most folks make the mistake of throwing away a bromeliad after it blooms
(usually the Guzmanias and Vriesia types) because they think the plant is
dead....but in fact all bromeliads pup out. Eventually the mother plant will die
back (some genus sooner than others), since it only blooms once. As the
foliage dies back, you take that off. Eventually they will form a clump. You can
either leave the pups on, creating a large clump of bromelads....or you can
take them off as they mature more and produce new plants (specimen). No
problems with black spot or anything else with Broms. Members of our society
with greenhouses report problems with scale, and others say that squirrels
love to eat theirs, but I've never had any problems. Once I learned more, they
have literally become the easiest plant I have to care for.

FYI: Houston Brom. society: _http://bromeliadsocietyhouston.org/_
Brom. society international: _http://www.bsi.org/_ (http://www.bsi.org/)

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 5/13/2005 7:09:34 PM Central Standard Time,