Re: Bromeliad....Aechmea

Hey David....is this your bloom??
_http://bromeliadsocietyhouston.org/gallery/index.html_ (http://bromeliadsocietyhouston.org/gallery/index.html)     If
so, that's Aechmea gamosepala, it's one of the easiest bromeliads  to grow
outside.  It is a very prolific grower and bloomer.  Great  mounted or potted.  You
can stick this thing into any crouch of a tree, or  between branches,
anywhere......it does well in sun, part shade, takes more  neglect than any other
bromeliad it seems. Very hardy too, tolerated the 6  inches of snow on it's head
this past winter.  True it was only overnight,  but still....I would have not
thought it would rebound that well, in fact it  didn't even damage them.   I
think the blooms are really unique  too, since in a way they look like baby
rattles being so light blue and  pink.  A cutey, for sure!!!!   Seems in your
climate you could  grow more outside....seems the morning fog would be the
perfect humidity and  cover from full sun that they would need.  Neoregelias are
probably the  only ones that would need more heat and full sun.  From what I hear
these  are the only Bromeliads that folks in lower zones have difficulty
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 5/17/2005 10:05:28 AM Central Standard Time,