Re: Spigela marilandica question

Seed pods they are, Pam.
Wait for them to turn tan and then feel them... with a very slight pressure they should come off into your fingers. The seeds will be small what looks like black stones. Keep a close eye on the pods as when they mature they explode and throw the seeds. Veeeeerrry slow from seed to flower... years.
One of the most showy natives and among my favorites when in bloom in the garden. I have 5 mature clumps of it in my garden going up the hill into the garden.
I did not know it flowered a second time... must be your long mild seasons.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

I noticed when deadheading my Spigela today that at the base of about
half of the flower spikes, that there were two small round what looks
like seed pods.  I left them on the plant.  They are green still.
Will these mature into viable seeds if I leave them alone?  This plant
is 4 years old now and this is the first year it has done this.   I
hope doing that won't prevent my second set of flowers later on.
Anyone know?  I get so many compliments on this plant, I'd love to be
able to share it.
Pam Evans