RE: Hydrangea Madness

'Hortisexual' - that's great.  I'm going to appropriate that one.

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Daryl
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 8:40 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hydrangea Madness

Well, "Plant Ho" is a new one to me.  Plantaholic, Hortnut, Hortnerd,
Plant Pig, Hortisexual - those are all terms that I know.  I even have a
picture of me in one of Dan Heim's "Hortiholic" displays.  Guess I
should have brought it along as a reminder.

Here's the list, as best I can transcribe it. It includes 2 "relatives".
(And I forgot to include Schizophragma and H. a. petiolaris in my
original list). Darn. Forgot 'Limelight' in my original 9 cultivars,
too. )

Decumaria barbara 'Barbara Ann'
Dichroa febrifuga (evergreen Hydrangea)
Hydrangea macrophylla ? (unknown lacecap)
H. mac. 'Ami Pasquier'
H. mac. 'Ayesha' (thought I had this one, but I think the voles got it
some years ago) H. mac 'Decatur Blue' H. mac.. 'Frillibet' H. mac. 'Fuji
Waterfall' H. mac 'General Vicomtesse De Vibraye' H. mac 'Hornli' H.
mac. 'Izu-no-Hana' H. mac. 'Lanarth White' (had this once- gave it away
to a needy friend) H. mac 'Masja' H. mac. 'Mme. Emile Mouillere' H. mac.
'Nightingale' H. mac. 'Oak Hill' H. mac. 'Penny Mac' H. mac.
'Rotdrossel' H. mac 'Veitchii' H. mac 'Westfalen' H. paniculata
'Chantilly Lace' H. pan 'Pink Diamond (lost it, 2nd try) H. serrata
'Midoriboshi-Temari and 'Lady in Red', which I've been watching for
several years. lost a sample to the voles, am trying again. There were a
bunch of serratas that I wanted, but were sold out. Phoo!

Funny thing is, I thought I was over all of this foolishness. I've been
through many plant obsessions. African Violets, Salvias, Daylilies,
Iris... I've ripped out hundreds of perennials and given them away for
the MG plant sale. I've tried to restrain my Hosta obsession, and only
have about 50 cultivars of them. I've gone to several plant conferences
in the last few years and only brought home one plant, sometimes none..
Sigh. Here we go again. ;-)