Re: Lilies and Cats ?!?

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Lilies and Cats ?!?
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:10:12 -0600

Thanks for the warning.  I wasn't aware of  it at all.  My 5 cats are
indoor/outdoor and I have lilies everywhere outdoors, but I don't bring them
in.  My cats munch grass and catnip but they  don't seem to touch anything
else.  This particular case though seemed to be that the pollen rubbed off
onto the cat and, of course the cat would lick it then.  So taller varieties
make sense.

Two lines in your article though don't match up:
> "All lilies are poisonous to cats, with just one leaf eaten possibly
> leading to death.
> advised gardeners who wanted to avoid harm to cats to select tall lilies

If cats will eat lily leaves, there are many at the bottom of the stalk.

It is a shame that such a beautiful plant can hurt felines this way.  Why oh
why doesn't it have the same effect on rabbits?