Re: Bad Times for Cats

Wow! Gee Zem, in general I am no fan of PETA however, in this case I can see their usefulness. Amazing!

To: "gardenchat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 6:39 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Bad Times for Cats

I have hesitated to discuss this with you all because I have been so upset but
here goes... A very wealthy doctor and his wife own a historic house in
LaGrange (one of many). They decided they had a problem with skunks, and
instead of calling the county animal control officer they called the game
warden who gave them permission to use leghold traps. Their house is down the
street from me, in the middle of town, and surrounded by houses with small
children. They employed idiots from the primordial ooze. Bottom line there
are four dead cats (two of which were mine and all of whom were shot -- in
town), one cat with a broken foot, one injured fox sold to dog trainers, and
untold dead possums. I have not heard of their catching any skunks. I went
beserk, our policeman was horrified, the mayor was bothered because it
involved a confrontation, which he abhors. My girlfriend, whose cat has the
broken foot,and I have involved PETA because all the mayor would promise was
to see what he could do. Today he told me they had switched to humane traps
and that all cats would be released. Oh, yes, they were baiting the leghold
traps with sardines!!! If you don't hear from me for a while it will be
because I'm in jail. I am going to speak with the DA's office about filing
animal abuse charges (a misdemeanor here). I am now extremely knowledgeable
about the kinds of traps legal in Tennessee, and it makes me sick. I have
also posted a copy of our animal abuse statute on the towns bulletin board.
PETA is calling our mayor tomorrow to find out the status of the case. If
that doesn't stop the slaughter I'm calling the television stations.
zone 7
West TN