RE: Summer already? happenings in the desert garden

I don't know of any native plant groups in the immediate area, but I should
give Theodore Payne nursery a call and talk with them. Most of the
vegetation in the area is either way too big to move, like the yuccas and
the junipers, or annual wildflowers. I was thinking about trying to find
where the blue dicks (Dichelostemma capitatum) were all clustered but I
don't know...it appears to be easy to find seed for them, and the idea of
digging through the brush to find their small bulbs is not attractive. It is
snake season now after all. The beavertail, now, those would be easy to
move, they are small and you could just carefully break off some pads.
Really small yuccas we could move too, and I have a place to plant those.

Harvesting - our last frost is usually around April 15, but the month
beforehand isn't incredibly cold. I usually put peas in the ground in early
March and plant lettuce & spinach the first week of April. Peas tend to be
beginning of May for about 3 to 4 weeks. This year I'm late on a number of
things due to all the time I spent looking at wildflowers so the schedule
might be a little different. I expect green beans to come in about mid-June
and be done by mid-July; zucchini starts about the same time as green beans
and keeps on going; tomatoes and cucumbers will start about mid-July. Melons
and peppers in early August, onions fall over in mid-August, and with luck I
will have a few bushels of basil from mid-June through frost at the end of
October.  I was going to try okra and eggplant this year, but I never
started the seeds. Eggplant is sometimes found at the garden centers but not
okra.

Cyndi