Re: Re: Help with H. americana!

Well, Kitty, I'm all for anybody learning about gardening and I'm
sure that the MG programs encourage that, I just still have a bit of
an internal problem with the title one gets at the end of the program
because of its limited duration when considered against 30-40 years
of hands on experience, which is what I consider necessary to begin
to master even a bit of the vast world of hort.

I totally agree, Jerry Baker is a complete snake oil salesmen;
charlatan first class.  I understand many have protested his use of
MG, but I am sure he cares...right...all the way to the bank.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

----------
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> > I think I have a built in problem with someone calling themselves
> > Master Gardener when they really are not....takes years of
experience

> I agree Marge, but you have to look at the program as it was laid
out in the
> 70s.  A Master Gardener is a volunteer who has taken a broad
overview
> horticulture course from the extension agent in order to help the
agent with
> ph calls from residents about home horticulture issues.  That's
all.  Though
> the program varies from state to state, basically an MG takes 40-50
hours of
> classes (not credit hours, buta actual hours) in a few months' time
and then
> takes a test.  If they pass they are an intern; if they complete
their
> volunteer time, the next year they are called an MG.  And if they
contribute
> a dozen hours and listen to a few seminars within the 2nd year,
they are
> given the name Advanced Master Gardener.
>
> When I became interested in gardening I couldn't get into the MG
classes so
> I took the 4yrs of hort classes from Guelph instead.  I am so glad
I did as
> it gave me a much deeper understanding of the subject matter
(though, of
> course, not nearly as extensive as I might have gotten if I could
have
> pursued a BS).  I have no immediate family, sig other, or any other
equally
> important interests, so I am more dedicated to my hort experience
than most
> of the other MGs.  But according to the organization, we are all
Master
> Gardeners, whether or not we've mastered anything.
>
> Hey, look at Jery Baker.  He calls himself a MG and I think he's a
quack.

> Kitty
> neIN, Zone 5

gardeners.