josee's demise

My lovely hybrid lilac, Josee (real name: Syringa 'Morjos 060F') has died. I've had it for almost 10 years since it was just a small $25 cutting. It bloomed several times during the season and was just lovely. It was in a protected spot which I guess was both good and bad. Good as it grew and bloomed, but bad in that the globose pine in front of it sort of prevented it from getting ample sun. The pine got too big so I ripped it out last year. Perhaps without its protection this past winter, Josee just couldn't handle the exposure. Thoughts?

Fortunately, 2 of the cuttings i took from her last year survived, so I do have something to work with.

neIN, Zone 5