Re: Update on Peeper (aka Lady Chatsworth)

Cool. I think animal behavior is about the most interesting of all things. Keep sending reports. Please.

On May 3, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

Well, the grey duck that was nesting in the stall with Peepers had her
babies Sunday. She had five ducklings. Peeper must want some babies
really, really BAD because now she is "helping" with those babies. She
is still sitting on her eggs (and according to the books, a goose sits
on them for 25-30 days, she has maybe a week or so to go) and still does
NOT want anybody around her nest...BUT...when she isn't sitting on them,
she is "mothering" those baby ducklings and I just think it is so sweet.
And the mother duck lets her. If the German Shepherds come too close to
the babies, Peepers goes after them. I sure hope she has some babies
because her heart is in the right place. And I haven't seen the Mr. in
almost two weeks. I don't even see him on the pond. I wonder where he

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10