Re: Today in the garden

That is one of the BEAUTIFUL things about gardening...it gets passed on
to your children. My son will probably pick it up. He dabbles in it now.
(His fellow Marines laugh at the wheat grass he is growing in his
trailer...out in the middle of the desert! He gave it a "buzz cut" the
other day!) My twins...not too sure. Brandi doesn't have the patience
for it, but she loves to sit out there with me and chat while I'm
working. She calls it mother/daughter time (LOL...it would be better if
she actually HELPED me! But hey, I'll take the company). And the other
twin, Brianna....well, she is much tooooo busy with her social life to
be bothered with that. Maybe some day. Who knows. Wonderful feeling just
reading your e-mail Chris.

Chris Petersen <chris@widom-assoc.com> wrote:
  I spent much of today working in my mother's 300 square foot garden. Mom
died nine years ago and her garden has been neglected ever since. I tried to
do some work in it when she was sick, but it was a loosing battle. Mom
liked some weeds that she called "wild flowers" weeds and let them go to
seed. Even so, the garden had old fashioned favorites and always had lots of
color. Whenever I needed Queen Anne's Lace for an arrangement, I knew where
I could get bouquets full! Dad smothered the garden in chopped leaves in the
fall, so the soil was not our usual mostly sand blend.

I have a lot of garden of my own to tend to, so that garden didn't make it
to my "must do" list over the past years, but it's been nagging at me ever
since we bought the property. Well, this spring, April, I got help digging
the weeds out. While removing the weeds, I dug up any perennials that I
could identify. Then, I had to tease the weed roots out of the clumps and
pot up the plants.

With the garden cleaned out, I've been planting lilies, daylilies, shrubs
and perennials. Today I put the salvaged plants back into the garden! I
know that my mom was smiling from heaven at that sight! It made me feel so
happy to see the garden looking fresh and beautiful again. It was such a
hopeful feeling to see life renewed where there was only ugliness.

Mom's garden is back!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)