RE: A lovely weekend

Lovely, Cyndi!

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 9:31 PM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net'
Subject: [CHAT] A lovely weekend

It's so nice to have good weather again. I'm reading about the floods in
the east and hoping no one is getting too much water. Here it was warm -
almost hot - and not windy, practically a miracle.
As you've all read about a hundred times by now, I scaled back my
vegetable garden. I thought it would be less work. What I didn't know
was that the critters are determined to eat the stuff I do have, so it's
more work than ever trying to salvage stuff. I've not had problems like
this in years. My lettuces are flat (I'm putting up protection), the
soybeans are gone (I replanted under Reemay), the peas are nibbled (I'm
just hoping for mercy). At least they don't like tomatoes or onions, and
the peppers are under Reemay, so perhaps we'll have salsa later this
summer. The corn grew fast enough they couldn't eat that to the ground,
but it's all field corn husband planted for fun- and bought from the
feed store at that - so who knows what the ears will be like. Everything
else I planted so late that it's all under Reemay too. Ah well, what
would life be without these little challenges.
The front looks great, well there are a couple weeds here and there. I
did hack off the big grass seed heads most places just to give myself
more time to get in there and dig out the clumps.  And I took some pix.
There's a couple of the veg garden in there too.