Re: Heat zones

Yeah, mine are both 10; guess that's why I've always thought heat zones we kinda redundant. Never occurred to me that one could have a hardiness zone of 9 and a heat zone of 4. If I'm not mistaken, Attu--the last island out in the Aleutians--has a hardiness zone of 8 or 9; it must have a heat zone of 3 or 4.

On May 24, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Kitty wrote:

Jim,
I am aware that heat zones make a big difference for some plants in some locations. For myself, it's moot as (if I recall correctly) both my heat and hardiness zones are 5.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:56 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Heat zones

Finally found an instance when AHS heat zones were useful. Guy who lives on Salt Spring Island, which is a few miles east of Victoria in the gulf between Vancouver and Victoria. BC, and is in USDA hardiness zone 9, wanted to know if he could grow avocados, which flourish in zone 9 California and Florida. And the answer is no, because while it's warm enough in winter, it isn't hot enough in summer. First time it dawned on me--doh--that knowing one's heat zone might have some utility in the real world.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10