From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 8:43 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] My Tulip Tree!!!

They do put out a pod, a 3" cone in the fall, like other in the magnolia
family.  Hummingbirds and butterflies like the flowers.  The pod seeds are
eaten by cardinals, purple finch, and squirrels.  The tiger and spicebush
swallowtail butterflies use the leaves for larvae.  Companion plants
include:  white oak, beech, hickory, red maple, sugar maple, cucumbertree,
umbrella tree, sourwood, hemlock, and musclewood.  For understory, you can
use redbud, dogwood, pawpaw, strawberry bush, hydrangea, spicebush, climbing
hydrangea; and, on the floor, wild ginger, trout lily, phlox, bloodroot,
ferns, river oats, asters.  It is TN's official tree.