Re: Kitten ...NOW Daryl's Dad

Barb,

Your experience is similar to what I've read. I have no idea how old the little one is, but the sooner the better according to my friends. I just wish I had more experience with cats.

----- Original Message ----- From: <sundrops@earthlink.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Kitten ...NOW Daryl's Dad

Daryl, thanks for the positive progress reports on everyone!
Re the kitten, by all means go ahead and trap it now. It will definitely be harder to truly tame the longer you wait. I have trapped several feral cats myself and also wince a little internally -- not wanting to be trapped myself! But it is best for them. I caught 3 of 4 kittens from a feral litter under my house, by hand, at about 8 weeks and they are all now fine pets. The 4th one I could not catch until 12 weeks, and while I kept her inside with the others for a month, and she did tolerate me, she was never friendly or cuddly. I took her to be spayed at 4 months and released her back outside with her mother, aunt, and grandma. If she had been the only kitten and I could have spent more time with her, she probably would eventually have come around. Good luck.
--Barb Tandy, Grass Valley CA