Re: Heronswood

> I believe this is a sign of the times. The little guys
> are having a hard time making ends meet for so many
> reasons.
> We, the hobbiest, are partly to blame by not
> supporting them totally. We might buy some plants, but
> others are bought from the big box stores/ebay/etc at
> reduced rates or just at sale times.. cuts that profit
> margin down for them and stretches the ends even
> further.

I rarely buy from box stores for perennials and shrubs -- they all have the
same drab, dreary plants.  Instead I order my plants from specialty
nurseries, and this is where Heronswood shined.

They were responsible for introducing so many new, unique plants.  Any
nurseryman will tell you that's what they need to do to survive now --
create a unique identity with speciality stock that will draw people.

This is why Frank's Nursery went out of business in the Chicagoland area.
They carried the same old stock from year to year and couldn't compete
with big box stores, but they weren't willing to change either.

However, I do buy all of my annuals from hardware stores.  No way I'm
mail ordering six flats of Impatiens!  :)

This year I haven't purchased much for personal consumption.  The nursery
has taken up my time and funds.