From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:07 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plants; Global Warming

In a message dated 05/03/2007 5:16:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
islandjim1@verizon.net writes:

In this morning's NYTimes. The subtropicals are coming.

Very interesting, but I lost some plants this winter that have grown
here for years.  The Santolina ericoides had suffered damage in hard
winters before, but this year is completely gone - after nearly 30
years.  Oriental poppies that I have had for years have not appeared.  A
large bed of Japanese anemones are showing only a couple of shoots.
Azaleas look barely alive, and may not bloom - they are usually in bloom
by now.  An old "Devil's Walking Stick" Aurelia - can't remember its
botanical name right now, but is a native - seems totally dead.
On the positive side, although the weather stays cool and cloudy, the
hummingbird returned this week.  Most years I see it first when the
azaleas bloom, but they aren't even near blooming yet.  I looked at the
migration site just to see how far they had come, and discovered to my
surprise that they were already in New England, so I hurried to put out
a feeder.  The next morning early there they were!
And yesterday there was a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak at the feeder.  I
haven't seen one for years.  What a beautiful bird!