Re: More weather, and other stuff

Honeybees kept in artificial--that is, man made--hives have been victims of various fungi, predators, and whatever, off and on since whoever brought them here from Europe originally. Asked to guess, I would venture that feral bees have a much greater chance of survival, if only because the invasive little critters live in hives of their own design and choosing once they escape the wicker baskets and wooden boxes of husbandry.

On May 4, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

They are honeybees. I have heard about the colony collapse disorder
(they are suspecting a particular fungus now), but these bees appear to
be pretty active. Haven't seen any dead ones yet.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 11:51 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] More weather, and other stuff

I'm surprised about the bees...are you sure they are bees and not yellow
jackets?  Bees have been dying in the US...many beekeepers have lost
most of their hives and no one knows the answer...referred to as the
AIDS of bees...they just disappear...no dead remains to help ID the
cause.  Maybe they have all migrated to your state?

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN