Re: Ruskin Tomato Festival

Oh yummy! I'd never have thought of a tomato sandwich, but you make it sound sooooooooo good!
neIN, Zone 5
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 3:01 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Ruskin Tomato Festival

I love these kinds of hokey things. A tomato festival! But there were Ms Fatma and I--two old duffs wandering around in the 85+ degree sun eating tomatoes and basil marinated in balsamic vinegar, fried green tomatoes, a local supermarket's in-store baked chocolate chip cookies [all at no cost except, perhaps, to our arteries] and talking to 4H kids about the plants [tomatoes, naturally, peppers, and sunflowers] they were selling. They had a large sign that read "Peppers are perennials in Ruskin!" There was a bluegrass band that sounded more like zydeco than Bill Monroe, but it didn't seem to matter. But I guess what really impressed me was a local farm selling tomato sandwiches--two slices of white bread, two thick slices of tomato, two dollars. The line of people waiting to buy one of these simple constructions was far longer than the lines for the corn dogs and funnel cakes and all that other ghastly carny food combined. We ended up buying three tomatoes--2-1/4 pounds--for salads next week.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10