Re: Redbud - Echium - can't win em all

Thanks Ceres, didn't know they offered it too. GMT price is $1.50 for a 3 inch pot from seed compared to PDN's 24oz pot at $12. You read a little something different on each site that carries it. Most of it sounds promising with slight caveats about drainage. Origin: Europe Asia is pretty broad. I found mentions of it being indigenous to Hungary, Siberia. Also two sites that suggest E maculatum as another synonym.

I'm pretty happy with it now.  Time will tell if it's tough enough to last.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Redbud - Echium - can't win em all

Kitty, I found this on Plants Delight web site.

Echium russicum (False Pink Liatris)
SunZone: 3-7, probably colder 24" tall Origin: Europe, Asia
Web-Only! Imagine a liatris with reddish-pink flowers that open in early
April. Would you be excited? Although it's not exactly a liatris, it sure looks
like one. Echium russicum is one of the few echiums that will thrive in
temperate climates. Forming a small basal rosette of flat, green, sandpapery leaves, this short-lived perennial puts on a superb spring show. The 1" wide spikes flower for months, producing a hard-to-find, early-season vertical effect in the
perennial border. Echium does not like wet soils or crowded mid-border
conditions. Pot size: 24 fl. oz (709.77 ml)

what's free at http://www.aol.com.