Re: Ground squirrel control

Thanks, Vera. I'd remembered sending that, but didn't save it.

On May 7, 2007, at 8:53 PM, Vera Metzke wrote:

    would this by chance be it....I hightlighted it when it came
up....keeping it in mind!
 show details
From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net

Cyndi, here's a post from another list re gopher/ground squirrel

I've tried electric fences before using a "small pet" transformer, and
that stopped the ground squirrels for a while -- then they started
just taking the shock and destroying things again.

So this year I covered the railroad ties that surround the garden with
wire mesh ("hardware cloth") so that any animals on them would have a
good "ground".  Then using a "large animal" transformer I put plastic
insulators on top of the railroad ties and ran the wire about an inch
and a half over the tie.

So far I've actually killed every ground squirrel that has tried to
get into the garden -- with zero damage to any of the plants!

Of course I have forgotten that the electric fence is there and I've
shocked myself a number of times.

Richard Primbs
Encinitas CA