Re: Heat season

A smidgen [maybe 3/4 inch] so far--but it's not quite over sayth the radar.

On May 14, 2007, at 6:20 PM, Kitty wrote:

So how much did you get?
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Heat season

The rains came.
On May 14, 2007, at 2:05 PM, james singer wrote:
The heat's definitely here. It's 89 degrees now. We're scheduled for showers and TS later this afternoon, but so far no clouds--just that hazy, smoky stuff. Really need the rain--a third of the state's on fire and the rest is a tinderbox.

I did a quick census count on the avocado tree yesterday. I counted up to 50 without moving very much, so I quit. They're all the size of damson plums now, so we'll probably lose some before mid-July, but I think not many. This year I plan to try to peddle a bunch of them to one of the produce sellers at the farmer's market. The nice thing about this variety is they ripen a good month before any other Florida variety, so the only competition is those smallish California [or Mexico] Hass avocados. Most people will find these far superior.

I don't know if the gardenia in in some sort of death throe or what. We have a 10-inch glass salad bowl on the kitchen table with a dozen blooms floating in it--and there's four or five times that many blooms on the bush, so many in fact that half the branches are drooping under the weight of the flowers. We've never seen it like this before.

Spent most of the weekend chopping out some plants that were molesting a couple of Chinese fan palms along the property line. Good progress, but no where near done. My guess is it'll take a couple more weeks--limited mostly by the rules governing yard refuse pick up. But once it's done, we'll have room to install a couple more [different] palms and a pad for the barbeque.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10