Back from vacation

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Back from vacation
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:25:46 -0700

 I had a great time in New Mexico visiting my friends. They live in a
resort area in the northern mountains, lots of pines and other conifers,
a place where you go to enjoy skiing in winter and other outdoor sports.
It was breezy the whole time I was there, apparently unusual for them.
Figures I can't go anywhere without bringing wind with me. We hiked and
they drove me around to local towns and did tourist stuff. But I had to
laugh at myself. This is not a place where people plant gardens - deer
and elk wander through at will, not to mention bears, and most of the
homes are vacation cabins anyway. So it's all left sort of au naturel.
But there I am out on the deck thinking of plants I'd put in that would
grow under the pines and checking out the local vegetation on our hikes
for suitability. I saw a few deer but no elk (herds of them showed up as
my friends drove back from dropping me off at the airport, it figures)
and I did see fresh bear tracks. I was a bit early for wildflower season
but every area of green grass had a swath of dandelions, prosaic, but
pretty. I saw some achillea, mahonia repens, columbine, and a few other
flowers I didn't know.  Oh and I saw rain! Actual water falling from the
sky, I'd almost forgotten what it's like.
During the five days I was away from home the birds and the dogs
stripped every apricot off one of my trees. Mind you, it's a not a big
tree (which is how the dogs could get to them), but still! I was
thinking before I left those were sure coloring up early but I thought I
would have time to protect them. Sigh. Not too much damage from the
critters in the veggie garden thankfully. Husband made the hot-wire
thing and we surrounded the lettuce but haven't seen anything zapped
yet, we may have to tweak it a little. They are still trying to get at
my soybeans. I've picked about 3 pounds of snow peas, not a lot
considering what I should have gotten, but not to be sneezed at. I had
enormous amounts of weeds - where DO they come from, I was gone less
than a week. The first zucchini flowers opened and I have at least one
tomato fruiting.
Haven't even looked at the front yard much other than to check my lemon
tree is still okay out there. Husband and I went riding at one of the
buttes, all went well, it was the first time I've been back on since my
little accident. We're going to the local mountains this weekend to
ride, I'm looking forward to it.

Cyndi