Re: What's up for your weekend?

Sounds like a fun day. "Not much else" sounds like a feast to me. Asparagus is up, and the late Spinach is still being harvested, but snap peas and strawberries are several weeks off. The Florida strawberries are done, and the California strawberries are tasteless, so I'll keep waiting and hoping that the rains return.

Went to the farmer's market today. Today was its opening day for the season. Spinach, asparagus, strawberries, scallions, snap peas. Not much else. Lots of nursery people, however, and mostly organic, selling everything from pea pyramids to yellow oyster mushroom starter kits to various native plants. We ate lunch there: Peruvian tamales, which were quite tasty.

When we left the market, we went to an odd little nursery that seems to specialize in stuff other nurseries may avoid. They had peonies in bloom, for example, and all manner of columbine. There were two huge [I'm not making this up] lupines in full bloom in 3-gallon pots by the front door. They had fig trees and, growing in a planter next to the building, what I took to be a Chinese fan palm [Livistona chinensis], one of my favorites; next time I'm there, I'll have to ask.