Pretty hot

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Pretty hot
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:22:40 -0700

I heard it was around 100 here this weekend, but we were in the
mountains. We did get to ride on Friday but the other two days were
volunteer training. It's amazing how much the Forest Service relies on
the volunteers. We are only doing this because my sister talked us into
it now that we have horses, I had no idea how much of the maintenance,
patrols, and customer service is staffed by volunteers. Anyway it was
much cooler up there.
We went over to one of the visitor centers - again, all staffed and
maintained by volunteers - and my sister was talking about the
landscaping around the center's building and picnic areas, it doesn't
look like much. I positively itched to start reading up on native plants
and put in something attractive. But it's really not practical.
At home, my lettuce is at its peak and we're getting lots of peas. I
need to weed the veggie garden again. So far no rabbit damage. The roses
look great. Bulb foliage is fading fast. The dry garden still looks very
nice with salvia clevelandii and  penstemon palmerii in full bloom.