Re: bermuda grass

I always figured it was UV and not sunlight per se that did the job, but I don't know. My bro, who lives in the foothills above Ventura grows most stuff in containers. At the end of every growing season [Oct-Nov] he dumps the soil from the containers on a cement slab, covers it with clear plastic, and lets it cook until spring when he loads it back in the containers. He swears he never has weeds.

On May 27, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Kitty wrote:

Here in neIN, solarizing isn't a good bet because our skies are frequently cloudy. Good thing I didn't know that back in 1990, because being a newbie at all this I decided to give solarizing a shot. It worked superbly.

The previous owners had had a nice-sized vegetable bed, which had gone unused fro nearly 10 years. I'd hacked it down and pulled Canadian Thistle and Bindweed and every other weed you can think of for a few years and it all came back with a vengence. Then I read an article about solarizing. I followed the instructions closely down to the correct mil of plastic and tightly sealing the edges. Fortunately we had an unusually clear, hot summer, and boy did that bed cook! It killed the bad stuff and created excellent conditions for future use.

Yes there were still a few stragglers around the edges, but I finally gained control and eradicated weeds that are virtually impossible to kill around here.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net >
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bermuda grass

Has anyone tried to solarize this stuff--that is, covering it with a
sheet of clear plastic and letting it cook?

On May 27, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Patricia wrote:

I have done it on every garden bed I have had in New Mexico,
Missouri and now Oklahoma for the last 18 years.  There are a few
tricks that help. First use at least one inch deep of paper... that
is a lot of paper..... keep it moist... use at least 3 inches of
grass clippings.... this is a lot of grass clippings... and then at
least 2 inches of mulch.  It is really important to keep it moist
until the papers and the grass began to deteriorate and make a mat,
then be sure to go around the edges with round up every 2 weeks
would be the best.
It is a lot of work but not as much as digging it out would be for
me.  The biggest benefit is the soil in about a year.  The papers
break down into carbon and draw the worms, they work the soil and
make the most wonderful loam.
I get newspapers from a lady that takes care of all the newspaper
racks in town, grass clippings from mowing services and free mulch
from the dump. All free for me but it takes tons to get it done.
My sister did it too and it didn't work for her so I know it is bad
when it doesn't work but if the grass starts to peak out you just
put down more mulch.... also be sure to not butt the papers
together... overlap so that NO sun can reach the soil.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell" <silverhawk@flash.net >