From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 5:28 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ground cover

That's interesting, Theresa.  Here in the Hudson Valley, lily of the
valley
grows right through my black-top drive and takes over all the rough
places.
Sweet woodruff makes a nice border along the fence in the vegetable
garden, but in no way seems invasive - it's been there at least 30 years
and hasn't really spread a lot.  I doubt it would take much
foot-traffic.
Obviously lily of the valley takes all kind of traffic - even
automobiles -
but it can get pretty ratty looking.  What  has just about taken over my

so-called lawn is Ajuga, including a purple-leaved variety.  Nothing
seems to faze it.  It doesn't even mind being mowed.  I don't
particularly
like it, but around here it seems to be the most durable, satisfactory
ground-cover.  That might not be true in another climate.
Auralie

In a message dated 5/30/2008 1:39:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,