Re: Out & About...

That's interesting because the tag didn't have the trade name on it, although when I looked it up online, the trade name was very prominent.

On May 30, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Kitty wrote:

Re Sambucus: 'Eva' is the real cultivar name, tradename is Black Lace. I have 'Gerda', tradename Black Beauty.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net >
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 5:27 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Out & About...

We went nursery hopping this morning. We wanted to get some vegetable
plants--peppers, eggplants, a cherry tomato--and see if there were any
field-grown pansies left [nope]. We also wanted to kinda look around
for ideas. Three junipers have died in one of the street-side beds and we're having a line of five incense cedars along the back fence limbed
up on Monday, so we've got some interesting areas to think about. So,
mostly, we were just window shopping.

We saw a black elderberry [Sambucus nigra "Eva," which is definitely
on our list to consider planting somewhere].

On the way home, we took a detour and went by Schreiner's iris
nursery. It's mind blowing. They have a few acres of demonstration
gardens where one can wander, picnic, photograph, whatever. Mainly, of
course, it's a show case for their irises, but the beds are chock-a-
block flowers--irises, lupines, columbines, poppies, herbaceous
peonies, delphiniums, alliums... masses of spectacular color every
where you looked. And, of course, I hadn't brought my camera.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'