RE: London

  • Subject: RE: London
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 15:59:18 -0700

How lucky!! Good for you, how long are you going to be there?
You must go to Kew Gardens. It is maybe 30 minutes on the Tube from
London, it is wonderful. One of my best memories of London is spending a
day at Kew. It was a weekday in autumn, decent weather though, and there
were probably about 20 people in the whole place, I wandered for hours
with no one else in view. Ahhhhhh....
Oh yes, sorry about that, back to London. Since we're all gardeners, I
also suggest the Museum of Garden History actually in London - very
small but very cute - probably less than an hour if you're motivated.
And of course you shouldn't miss the Tower of London, you should
definitely hit the British Museum (be careful, that can suck up an
entire day) and either the National Gallery or the Victoria & Albert.
Let me think....I never did the tour of Buckingham Palace (I hear it's
expensive); we saw the changing of the guards, that's fairly impressive.
St. Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey are worth going to.
After that, depends on what you like. Husband is into military stuff so
we went through the Imperial War Museum, and if you like that sort of
thing, you can be there for hours. We went to Greenwich to the Maritime
Museum and to stand on the Greenwich Meridian. I think we went through
most of the museums in the city actually. I liked the London Eye, but
that's optional. Going to the theater is supposed to be a big London
experience. I also hit up all the bookstores on Charing Cross Road but
sadly I know a number of them are victims of the economy. If you like
shopping then Harrods is fun. I would have liked to do the flea market
on Portobello Road but we haven't been there on the right days.
If I think of anything else I'll throw it out there. Have fun and happy
birthday!

Cyndi