Re: suicidal slugs

  • Subject: Re: suicidal slugs
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 18:03:57 EDT

I go out with a salt-shaker early every morning.  It only takes a few
grains,
and I usually find them in the walkway or on the stones edging beds.  I
do know that salt isn't good for plants, but the few grains I use don't
seem to
be enough to hurt the plants, but it does dissolve the slugs.
Crushed eggshells are supposed to be effective, but we don't eat many
eggs anymore, so would never have enough to do any good.

In a message dated 5/8/2009 4:50:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gardenqueen@gmail.com writes:

Can you get your hands on some lava sand?  If they crawl over that it tears
them up and they die.

> I've always been reluctant to put small plants directly in the ground for
> that and other reasons.  I don't expect you to dig them up though.  All I
> can say is: Vigilance!  Keep applying the sluggo and they should
eventually
> decrease in number.
> Nasty little things.
>
> Kitty