Re: when do you know it is ready?

  • Subject: Re: when do you know it is ready?
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 07:56:30 -0700

Prefer mine steamed, then leaves dipped in mayo mixed with a double splash of tabasco.

On May 13, 2009, at 7:44 AM, Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:

For artichokes? I like 'em simple - boil (some people steam them; flavor is better but they are tougher IMO) until a leaf pulls off easily (about
40 mins for a large 'choke) and dip the leaves into mayonnaise. Some
people like melted butter instead of mayo.

I *love* artichokes!

I prefer to boil them in water with lime halves until the stalk is just
tender enough that a knife point can be pushed through it.

I serve it with a vinaigrette made up of oil, vinegar, the scooped out
remnants of the lime pulp, salt, pepper, garlic, tarragon, and a little
lime juice.

Chris (who happened upon this while fixing something in the archives)

Inland Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'