What's happening?

  • Subject: What's happening?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:24:36 -0700

You all have been pretty quiet lately, I hope everyone is happily busy
outside.
We're still in somewhat of a heat wave, last week it started to get up
into the 90s. We took our horses to the mountains for a 3 day weekend so
we missed the worst of it down here.  We're going up for the holiday
weekend as well so not much gardening is going to get done for quite
some time.
I picked about 3 pounds of snow peas just before we left and took some
lettuce. The lettuce was already starting to bolt although there was
quite a bit that was still good. The peas had a few flowers but I don't
expect I would have gotten much more from the bed with the heat like it
is. You notice I am writing in the past tense...during the time we were
gone, the sheep got into the garden and, well, the peas and lettuce are
no more.
It could have been a lot worse.  They didn't knock down the tomatoes or
eat my zucchini plants and I still haven't put out the peppers.  I am
unhappy that along with the lettuce they wiped out my basil seedlings. I
am not sure about replanting, I think my window for getting basil plants
grown enough to harvest before they flower is probably over and with our
water issues maybe I should just give that up for this year.
Last year I mentioned we had a bee swarm take up residence in a
sprinkler box and I was looking for how to get rid of them. They finally
moved on their own but I thought I would relate my friend's experience
with bees last month. She had a swarm move under the eaves of her house,
so she had to take action quickly.  She called a couple numbers under
"Bee Removal" in the phone book, she wanted someone to take them, not
kill them.  She got referred to another person eight times and finally
ended up with someone who said they might, possibly, be able to find a
beekeeper who would take them and charge her only $250 to $300 dollars.
The pesticide people wanted $35. So much for trying to do the
ecologically responsible thing.

Cyndi