Unintended consequences
  • Subject: Unintended consequences
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 08:09:07 -0700

I don't know why it took me more than 20 years gardening in this climate
to realize I could plant peas before March. DOH! Anyway this year I
planted way earlier than in the past. I grow the short snow peas and
snap peas because putting up a trellis is just too much hassle, and I
use a modified version of the "wide row" method - I have beds 4' x 14'
and I plant four rows of peas in a bed. They grow up to support
themselves and it's narrow enough so I can pick from either side...at
least it used to work that way.
Turns out peas like having that extra time to grow. They got much bigger
than I'm used to before starting to flower, expanding out and up, and
the bed is now one solid mass of pea foliage. To make life interesting,
the plants in the very middle were the first to flower and they are
forming nice peas. But I can't reach in there from the sides any more, I
have to walk in the bed. How to get in was the problem. Good thing I
have been taking yoga for the last few years, I was practicing many
balancing postures while finding or clearing a spot for each foot so I
didn't crush any plants. The twisted poses were great for picking peas
all around since I couldn't really move my feet once on the ground. Glad
no one had a camera as I'm sure my form was not good. But I picked a lot
and I didn't fall on my face.
I am definitely going to plant this early again, but I'll have to change
my method!