Re: native prairie plants
  • Subject: Re: native prairie plants
  • From: Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 14:47:08 -0500

I got two Ironweed plants from HCG this Spring, called 'Iron Butterfly' a
narrow leaf variety.  This one says it gets 24-30 high & 18-24 wide.
They're just getting started now, so haven't seen them do too much yet.  I
put one in a pot & one in the ground to see how they do.
What do the leaves look like on the one you have?

> I picked up a couple of plants at a local nursery.  Prairie Smoke, Geum
> triflorum, I was vaguely familiar with because I remember Donna talking
> about starting it in a greenhouse several years ago.  Pretty thing.  I note
> that it spreads by rhizomes - is it a fast spreader?
> The other one was in a small pot and labeled Ironweed.  Though I know that
> it is a Vernonia, I don't know which species.  Can anyone tell me which
> species would MOST commonly use the name Ironweed?  I'd like to get some
> idea of ultimate size before planting it.
> Kitty
> neIN, Zone 5

Pam Evans
Kemp TX