Re: Spring?
gardenchat@hort.net

Sometimes I have had redbud trees come back from the root. It takes a while but they seem to be stronger since the roots are strong. ----- Original Message ----- From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2011 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring?

Spring finally seems in full swing here.  The sun has finally put in
an appearance for a couple of days.  It's not really warm, but nice
enough to be out without heavy coats - 60s and not too windy.

I've had my hands full making up the folders, exams, etc. for our
Horticulture School this coming week, I have neglected the garden
dreadfully, but finally got my onions in this afternoon.  Of course, here,
with spring weather you get shad flies which make itvery uncomfortable
to be out very long.

All the fruit trees are in full bloom.  The dogwoods look much better than
last year.  The magnolia, for once, made a good showing without being
frost-bitten. Most years we have a frost just as the buds are opening, and
they are all blackened.  One very sad note, however, is that my redbud
(Cercis canadensis) seems to be completely dead.  It was especially
nice last year, so I can't imagine what did it in, unless it was the
extremely
cold weather. Most of my perennials came through the winter in surprisingly
good shape, which I attribute to the very thick snow cover that we had all
winter long.  Since the redbud was above the snow, maybe it just isn't
that hardy.

APL

In a message dated 4/28/2011 11:06:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cyndi.johnso