Re: May so far
gardenchat@hort.net

There was one almost hot day last week - new growth on my Hellebores
wilted and daffs leaned over - but it has been cool since.  Yesterday was
just plain nasty - rainy, windy, with temps around 45 degrees. Today is
sunny, but chilly and windy, and frost is predicted for tonight.

The late daffs are blooming now, and lots of other things are coming
out.  The native columbine is in full bloom.  It is really a weed, but I do
love it, so let it stay wherever it wants to be until I need the space for
something else.  Pulmonarias - three varieties, including a lovely white
one - are doing well. Speaking of weeds,  there are masses of white
violets everywhere in the lawn and around the edges of the woods and
boulders.  I don't ever remember seeing them so thick before.

As for the vegetable garden, I have not done much.  Planted peas as
soon as I could get out, but not until late March. They are several inches
high, and every time I go down to the garden I fear they will have been
eaten.  I am using a "small pest repellant that Park's put out this year -
here's hoping it will protect them.  It's still too early to start squash
and
beans, and since all my beans were eaten off as soon as they blossomed
last year I am waiting to see if the peas survive.  I put onions in, but
didn't
plant them too well.  The weather has just not been conducive to spending
time in the garden, and when it was fairly nice, the shad flies make life
miserable. Add to that, these old bones just don't move as well as they
once did.I'm hoping to have a helper to come work one day soon and get
things in better order.
This past two weeks have been mostly dominated  by plans for and
execution of Horticulture Schools.  I did not go to Rochester for the one
there
last week, but spent much time on the paperwork and preparations.  The one
here this week went very well, but  was totally time consuming, and I am
still
in process of grading exams, etc.  I have a big box of that to do for last
week's
school, but I told them I couldn't get to it until I finished this one. And
then there
is one in early June in the Buffalo area.  I have officially retired from
this job
after 22 years, but have promised my successor that I will still wind up
these
three schools togive her time to get established.

In a message dated 5/5/2011 5:15:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,