Re: Storms
  • Subject: Re: Storms
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:45:13 -0400

I'm glad there were no twirlies on you, and hope that none are in your future.

We had a biggie Sat. night/early Sunday morning - about 5" of rain in a couple of hours, but no twirly - just straight line. My neighbor's A/C ( or the power to it) was hit by lightning, knocking out his A/C, TV's, VCRs, computer, etc. He said that the whole back of his house was blue for some minutes, and there was a blue glow in the back yard. He spent the rest of the night watching for smoke in the house, but fortunately there was none. We have a whole house surge protector, so didn't lose anything but the A/C control panel but they had to order the part and it won't get fixed until tomorrow afternoon (best scenario). It was 86 with 68% humidity in the house this afternoon. My neighbor is in worse shape. His insurance company and their "preferred" repair people say he won't get A/C until the weekend. He has metastatic prostate cancer and only one lung. I'm more and more glad that we have AMICA when I hear things like that.

The OK storm is supposed to arrive here tomorrow, but most of its power will be gone and nothing particularly severe is expected, just more rain. We're 20+ inches above normal in rainfall for the year. There are lots of people with flood problems, but the small creek running through our crawl space is nothing more than a nuisance, and even right after the storm, the roads were passable, with just some debris to dodge.

-----Original Message----- From: Pam Evans