Re: lack of butterflies & moths was Hummingbird Nest Photos from mom to chicks

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] lack of butterflies & moths was Hummingbird Nest Photos from mom to chicks
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:41:57 -0500

> From: Jesse Bell <jesserenebell@hotmail.com>
> Hmmmm....they sprayed for gypsy moths around here too.  I bet
that's what
> did it.  I sure did miss all the hummers "fighting" and arguing
around the
> feeders.  I had around 6-7 that showed up this year.  Normally I
see a lot
> more than that.
----------

Well, if that's the case, then I'm pretty sure that's why you're
seeing fewer butterflies and moths as what kills one species of these
also kills the rest of them.

As for the hummers, hopefully they will be back in higher numbers
another year.  I didn't even have 6 or 7!  Usually I have at least 4
identifiable, but this year, saw only a couple that I could
distinguish from each other and no major fights at the feeder.  I
have heard tell that some people's hummers share a feeder, but have
never seen this in my garden...they are so very territorial and will
use up so much energy chasing each other away from the feeder.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade