Re: Re: cyclamen

> From: Tony Veca <romans8@comcast.net>
> > voles.
> We don't have them here in our area, but we do have moles. I also
noticed I
> had very little problems with the critters this year. One here &
there. I
> didn't even treat the holes at all. They just disappeared.

Well, Tony, you don't have to worry about moles; they are strictly
carnivores; don't eat plants at all; like grubs and worms and other
underground insect life. They can disturb plants with their tunnels,
but they don't eat them nor dig them up.  I'm rather fond of moles,
really...they aerate my stolid clay soil and have the most beautiful,
soft fur.

You are REALLY lucky you don't have voles.  They are horrible little
pests; munch the heart right out of hostas and eat bulbs and tubers
as well as fleshy roots.   Nasty critters.  I normally can deal with
most wildlife and their habits, but class voles right up there with
slugs and deer...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :